Thursday, March 29, 2012

Red Ruby.

Today I said goodbye to a beloved companion of five years.

Red Ruby, thank you for carrying me for work and for play. Uphill through snow, and uphill through sweltering summer days. Honestly, it never felt like I was riding you downhill because of your (much lamented) single speed. There were many sore-derriere-days until I replaced your original (vintage) seat with a much better (modern) one. Your brakes were squeaky and unreliable, your wheels detested my back-alley-riding, and sometimes you were pretty wobbly.

All that aside, Red Ruby, you served me well. You helped develop (along with my father) my great love for bicycle riding. I will find a new companion, trusty steed, and ride off (comfortably and easily) into the sunset. And your legacy will carry on forever.

1 comment:

  1. Red Ruby...i didn't know you named your bike :) I can't wait to see what kind of bike you get!

    mom :)

    ReplyDelete