Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Fall. This time, it's real.

Today is such a beautiful day. It's the first day of fall, and it truly feels that way. I always know that it's fall when I get overwhelmed by a feeling of nostalgia for Basque Country. The months that I spent there were in the fall, and I just miss it at this time of year. The cold (if you can call 70 degrees cold) humid feeling, the way the air smells, leaves twirling from trees, cigarette smoke, clouds, rain... It all reminds me of San Sebastian. Oh, I miss that place sometimes.

I went for a walk this morning (after reading / finishing my book in bed until 11:30am) in one of the two huge parks that are within a mile of our apartment.

Have I mentioned how much I love this city?

[The above photos were taken with my phone. Yes, I love it.]

We booked our flight to California... We'll be there the end of December. It will be the first time I've ever spent Christmas apart from my family. I'm not too happy about it, but I am glad that we can get out there at all! It will have been a year since we have been back to California... I'm often nostalgic for that place, as well. Probably more so than for San Sebastian, as I did in fact live in California longer than three months.

And we leave for Chicago in three weeks! I'm so excited to see the place that my love grew up, spend time with Jenny, enjoy a mid-western fall weekend, and spend time some great people. Oh, and a mini-vacation from work is always nice.

I'll leave you with this. I am so glad to get to wear pants again, after the past four months of 90+ degree weather.

2 comments:

  1. I love fall in Denver, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what I would do for a morning to read in bed till 11:30am and then get and take a beautiful walk. (Sigh)

    ReplyDelete